Bienvenido!

Entrar Registrarse
Buscar
Interference: An Interview with U2
22 September 2004 a las 14:50
Numero de lecturas: 613
Esta entrevista ya la ha puesto yan_beerfly en general, en el siguiente post:

Bono anda haciendo lo suyo?

Pero como la ha puesto en un segundo post dentro del tema, os la pongo yo aquí­.

Sinceramente tenéis que leerla (de ser cierta) es muy interesante:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An Interview with U2: Album, Tour, and More

By Interference.com Senior Staff

Now must be a chaotic time for U2. As fans around the world cling to their computers and radios, waiting for the latest news on the band's upcoming album and tour, the band itself is preparing for the onslaught of what is sure to be a hectic couple of years in support of the forthcoming "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb."

In the midst of what must be an endless stream of meetings, press obligations and rehearsals, U2 took the time to answer a few questions from the senior staff members of Interference.com, talking about the upcoming album and tour, and U2 at 25 and beyond.

Please enjoy Interference.com's first-ever exclusive interview with U2.

Interference.com: Since the release of "The Joshua Tree" and on to "Pop," your albums have reflected an amalgam of musical interests while also being sonic maps of what's been going on in the world. "All That You Can't Leave Behind" looked more inwardly at family matters, the idea of grace and emotional transcendence. What can be said for the influences on this latest album, be it musical, political or emotional?

U2: Political for sure, you always get that with us in some form. Personal, probably more than anything this time. There are also the fun songs and I think "Vertigo" falls into that category, just the pure recording of it. Steve Lillywhite produced that one front to finish. That"™s a song that just smells like U2, once you hear the first 10 seconds you are hooked. It's kind of like "Pride" or "Elevation."

I love that track, a lot of ideas in one song. It was recorded using the guitar from the early U2 LPs, different amps, of course. When you get to the break in the song you think, "What is this guitar? The 'Boy' LP?" Then as you wait for a vocal you hear what appears to be the sound of someone pulling the power cord out of the wall as you are listening to vinyl on a turntable, then back into it"”smash"”soaring vocal and music. Everyone in the band was fantastic on this track.

Interference.com: Moving into your third decade as recording artists, how have your feelings about recording changed? Did making this album have the same power as making "Boy"? Was there an overriding goal you set out for the album?

U2: They have not changed at all. It's a passion. It's a love. It's like taking out your paintbrush and hitting the canvas. I"™m not comparing us with Van Gogh or Shakespeare, but one would think they had the same feeling each time they set out. The main difference now is that we have families to consider, you can't record three LPs in five years. You can't tour on a wooden stage with a paper backdrop anymore, either. The time between each LP and tour gets longer the more success you have.

People in and around the band look at the Internet, they know the want of the fans. The band always tries to deliver the goods. I mean, being in a band like this one, you get a lot of mail and gifts from fans, it's impossible to read it all or answer it but a lot does get read and some of it is inspiring as well as terse, "An LP every four years?!" But I think you would have to live in the belly of the beast to really understand, it"™s a mad circus at times.

As for big goals, none, just make a great rock LP. Bono says it best, "Two crap LPs in a row and you quit." Well, I think that danger is starting to leave, we may not have enough time in our recording lives to produce two crap LPs in a row. That"™s why the last LP was the crucial one, it sets us up for this one and another. You then look at a Best of 2000-2010. I mean, "Walk On" and "Elevation" need a home on a best-of package, right?

Interference.com: U2 has tried throughout its career to stay at the forefront of technology. ZooTV and Pop Mart were by far the most elaborate U2 shows, pushing the envelope and challenging the audience's senses, while with Elevation we seemed to see a "less is more" approach. What new innovations does the band have in mind as far as the Internet, videos, and tour?

U2: Well I think now the theme may be "more is more," and I don"™t mean Pop Mart. That, of course, was brilliant. I think we look at different ways to get a show across and this sets up nicely. Rotating the set list more frequently is definitely something we are looking at. I think Joe and Willie have their hands full with the stage and lighting. It's almost like topping yourself each time out.

Since 1992-97, there have been a great number of new inventions come through. Some of these sound-in-light applications will be used. I also have to mention a new software that anyone can get called "Vertigo." Vertigo lets you make 3-D images that can be projected on to a big screen. It's stunning and its applications in a live show are unlimited.

Interference.com: Each of U2's album titles is distinctly unique. What transpired in order to decide this album's title?

U2: It seemed like the title was going to be "Hanover Quay" as a nod to the soon-to-be-dismantled studio. It stayed that way as a working title until the LP took on a personality. It went through a hundred titles. Then you hit upon one that everyone thinks is brilliant or best sums up the LP. Everyone just has to agree to like it. It also has to make sense in the context of the LP. I suppose that"™s why we never made an LP titled "Windmill Lane," it's too Beatles, "Abbey Road" or "Penny Lane." We love The Beatles far too much to borrow ideas from them. In the end you just go with your gut and it works out"”"Boy," the first LP, "War" sprang from "Sunday Bloody Sunday" and the anger around that LP. In the end, I think they name themselves.

Interference.com: Neil Young said it's better to burn out then fade away. What are your thoughts on that as a band, and what have U2 yet to accomplish. To follow that up if you were asked to choose one song to date that best defines "U2" what would it be?

U2: Second question first. I think the unanimous selection would have to be "One," that"™s the song that saved this band from being a 10-year wonder and propelled us to go further. When that song was finished, everyone was like this is a masterpiece. It happened at a time when we were really groping for a big song. Fate, I guess. It's been a great ride after that turning point.

Well we love Neil, he"™s an old-school genius who is just as relevant today as he was in 1969. That being said, I think there is a fair balance between work and family. There will come a time when you won't see U2 that much. We would record less. I don't think that"™s in the near future, though. We still have plenty to accomplish. In the next two years we will be all over the map, we'll see how that goes. Everyone in the band is really pumped to play the new songs live, they beg to be played live.

We are no doubt going into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame very soon. It's staggering and humbling"”The Beatles, Elvis, Marvin Gaye, Chuck Berry, etc. It also feels very premature for us because we started so young. I don"™t think induction into that group means you have to quit, the Stones were inducted 20 years ago and they treated it like a speed bump. The same can be said of Neil Young 10 years ago. The problem is who to induct us, I think between us we have inducted at least five or six bands or individuals. I think the best person to introduce us would be Bono, because is a master at it, but I am joking. I just think it"™s a real honor. It will be a great way to kick off what looks to be an amazing tour for us next year.

Interference.com: And in closing, is there anything you want to add for the fans?

U2: Please fasten your seatbelts and put all of your carry-ons under the seat in front of you, we are about ready for take-off. Have all of the fireplugs in your town ready. We will see you soon!

Many thanks to U2 and to all who helped with this article.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

saludos.

Sólo sé que no sé nada
Asunto Autor Vistas Enviado
  Interference: An Interview with U2
sm 613 22 September 2004 a las 14:50
zooraspa 169 22 September 2004 a las 14:53
sm 173 22 September 2004 a las 15:22
Faneca 279 22 September 2004 a las 17:41